Teagasc currently has an active research programme at the Ballyhaise college farm. A permanent position exists at the Ballyhaise Agricultural College, Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan for a research technician to manage the dairy herd and associated farm staff, plus the delivery of the research programme as outlined in the AGRIC research programme.
The appointee will be responsible for the day to day management of a large pasture based spring calving dairy herd and associated dairy farm staff, which includes the delivery of the research programme as outlined in the AGRIC research programme. This will include grassland management, breeding and reproduction, animal health and welfare, milk quality, health and safety, as well as data collection and dissemination of results where necessary.
Technician Grade 1, with a starting salary of €28,220 per annum. The current salary scale is €28,220 to €38,373.
Starting pay will be at the minimum of the scale per Government Circular E100/8/82. Exceptional circumstances may apply for candidates with current or previous service in the public sector (including Teagasc).
Remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government Policy.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Daily management of a large dairy herd including herd health and welfare, grassland management, breeding and calving season cow management.
- Daily management/supervision of farm staff operations and liaising with research staff to deliver the BMW region dairy research programme including the realisation of experimental objectives and protocols.
- Management of livestock, grassland management of the experimental herds and co-ordination and collection of research data relating to animal and grassland system performance.
- Experimental recording and database management, including health and safety.
- Assisting Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
- Actively participating in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
- Fully co-operating with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operating with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes fully complying with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department from time to time.
- Candidates must have a QQI Level 6 in Agriculture or a related discipline
- A number of years’ experience managing a large dairy herd would be a distinct advantage.
- Livestock management.
- Grassland Management.
- Data handling and computer
- People and resource management.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and farm software such as Agrinet, Pasturebase, Kingswood and IFC computer packages
- Grass-based dairy production systems.
- Existing research in milk production from grassland systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team, including consulting, collaborating and building relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strives for high quality of work and demonstrates commitment to the programme.
- Ability to communicate effectively to enable knowledge and technology transfer.
Candidates must satisfy and continue to satisfy during employment with Teagasc, legal requirements to drive unaccompanied on Irish public roads.
How To Apply
An Application Form for this position can be accessed on the Teagasc website at www.teagasc.ie/careers.
Completed Application Forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to [email protected] no later than 12 midnight on Friday 1st of September 2017
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.
Apply for this job
Tips when applying for a job
- Always add a cover letter
- Check both cover letter and CV for spelling mistakes
- Research the Company and prepare some questions